Monday, October 08, 2012

Masked Mom's Media Monday: Snippets

"I think all artists, regardless of degree of talent, are a painful, paradoxical combination of certainty and uncertainty, of arrogance and humility, constantly in need of reassurace, and yet with a stubborn streak of faith in their own validity, no matter what."
~~Madeleine L'Engle A Circle of Quiet
 
"Words dice the world into pieces small enough for the mind to hold, but the world itself is undivided. Every being, from lilac to lover, overflows the boundaries of its name."
~~Scott Russell Sanders, A Private History of Awe
 
 
"...I suppose this--the ability to empathize with the people we hate--is exactly the quality that makes us human beings, which makes you wonder why anybody would want to be one."
~~Brock Clarke, An Arsonist's Guide To Writer's Homes In New England
 
"One of my problems is that I like to be nicer than I actually am. While this personality discrepancy is better than being unkind, it does create a lot of confusion and pain for me as well as for others."
~~Mary-Lou Weisman, Traveling While Married
 
"A love of language may not guarantee happiness, but it allows you to express your despair eloquently. As any poet (or blogger) knows, misery expressed is misery reduced."
~~Eric Weiner, The Geography of Bliss: One Grump's Search For The Happiest Place In The World
 
"There are some people who insist that every time one door closes, another door opens, but this isn't always the case. There are doors that are meant to stay closed, ones that lead to rooms filled with serpents, rooms of regret, rooms that will blind you if you dare to raise your eyes to the keyhole in all innocence, simply to see what's inside."
~~Alice Hoffman, The Blue Diary
 
"The woman looked as if she thought Inman spoke the greatest foolishness she had ever heard. She pointed her pipe stem at him and said, You listen. Marrying a woman for her beauty makes no more sense than eating a bird for its singing. But it's a common mistake nonetheless."
~~Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain
 
 
 "I would take a vow not to worry so much but I would have to have a prefrontal lobotomy to keep the vow and that seems excessive."
~~Ellen Gilchrist, "The Geology Field Trip," The Writing Life
 
 
 
Masked Mom's One-Word Review: Random.



7 comments:

  1. Oh how I love Madeleine L'Engle. And then your other quotes made me laugh, made me shiver, made me nod my head in agreement. Lovely, lovely. Surely you are likewise. Thanks for these pieces of peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Weisman quote is golden. They are ALL golden. I can't believe you compiled them all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Tara. You always have the best quotes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please do NOT ask me to pick a favorite. You are a well read woman!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such delightful randomness. Just perfectly selected. You have an eye for such things. I think a few of these will make their way into my notebook, as well as a few things to add to my "to read" list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha! Oh I just have to love that last one! It's so my father and I. We were speaking of that today, how we are such worry-warts and obsessors, and how we need to let God handle life and worry less .. maybe I'll learn with time?

    P.S. Papa is Preacher would like to cordially invite you to our very first Link Up party beginning tomorrow (Thursday) at 9:30 a.m. going 'till Tuesday. Please see this post for more info: http://papaisapreacher.blogspot.ca/2012/10/tidbit-thursday.html
    We'd really be honored to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it, love it, love it -- little bites to let float around in my head until my hand reaches in and cuts and pastes them to Goodreads! The Geography of Bliss is one of my favorite books in recent years - thoughtful blend - I have read it and listened to it twice while traveling. And ALice Hoffman's words? Mystical, magical and so right for me.
    Thanks for putting these out there!

    ReplyDelete