Saturday, November 05, 2011

Six Degrees of Separation: Babysitter's Edition

A few weeks ago, while watching a DVR'd episode of Castle with Hubby, I saw a name scroll by in the opening credits that I thought I recognized. I sat straight up in my chair and began shouting like a lunatic.

"Wait! Wait! Go back--did that say Eric Tiede? Little Sister and I used to babysit Eric Tiede. I mean, maybe it's not the same Eric Tiede, but that's really not that common a name, I've never met anyone else with that last name." 

Hubby rewound far enough to confirm that the name was in the credits and then he spent three or four minutes convincing me not to pause the show and go check IMDB--three or four minutes during which I could easily have gotten the information, I'd like to note--and instead suggested I just watch the episode and see if I could spot anyone who looked familiar.

Despite my protests that I had last seen Eric when he was four and that it was highly unlikely that I would recognize him now (26 years or so later), I suspected I did recognize him as the comic book store owner and after half an hour or so of Internet research, I confirmed I was correct.

I was absurdly, ridiculously excited to find out that I babysat someone who now has an IMDB page.

Imagine then, what happened when I realized the full six-degrees-of-separation implications of my association with Eric Tiede. The possibilities are endless, but here's my favorite so far:

1. I babysat Eric Tiede.
2. Eric was in a film with David Arquette (The Land of  the Astronauts).
3. David Arquette was married to Courtney Cox.
4. Courtney Cox was in Friends with Jennifer Aniston.
5. Jennifer Aniston was married to Brad Pitt.
6. Brad Pitt cohabits and parents children with Angelina Jolie.

Hence, thanks to a babysitting gig in the '80s, I am less than six degrees away from Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie. Speaking of babysitting:

Brad and Angie, I'm totally available. Give me a call.

No comments:

Post a Comment