Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Tell Us How You Really Feel

More self-plagiarism. Whole sections of my spiral notebook journal are dedicated to what I call Petty Rants About Annoying People (I actually thought about using that as a blog name at one point, but it seemed kind of limiting. I mean what if I want to rant substantially about an annoying person?). Here's an example:

March 24, 1993
...My problem with [her] is her saccharine level artificial sweetness. Sure, it's sweet, but it's unnatural, it leaves an aftertaste and quite probably causes cancer in laboratory animals. It was in full force the day she was at the store. She also had her southern accent turned up a notch or two higher than usual and usual is nauseating enough. I know she's probably entitled to a slight twang because she lived in Florida and the Carolinas for fifteen years or so. But she was an adult even then and she's been out of the Twang Zone for a few years now. Anyway, it's just my opinion, but I think the accent is an accessory to her--the same as earrings or well-applied makeup. (Not that her makeup is all that well applied. It's more of a surrogate face.)

No comments:

Post a Comment