Friday, November 07, 2008

Life's Little Mysteries

Life is just full of those moments that make you wonder, "Why are we here? What's it all for?" For instance, here's a true transcript of a conversation I had with Daughter-Only earlier today:

To set the scene--we were in the car, having just dropped off her friend J. D-O had been trying to figure out what might be going on this evening with two other friends, T and L. And I was pressuring her to tell me where it was I needed to take her. For the previous five minutes, at approximately thirty second intervals the exchanges went basically like this:

Me: "Where am I taking you?"
D-O: "Hold on, I don't know, I need to talk to T..."

Finally, I said, quite firmly, "D-O, I just need to know where to take you. I can't continue driving around in circles, I'm supposed to be picking up your father."

Her response?

"The moral of the story is that MD is the best-smelling boy in our grade."

Oh-kay...I'm not sure what story this tidbit might be the moral of, but I'm relatively certain it's not the moral of the story I've been trying to get her to tell for the past five minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment