Monday, July 03, 2006

Masked Mom's Media Monday: Cage of Stars

Jacquelyn Mitchard is the author of The Deep End of the Ocean, an Oprah pick (the first Oprah pick, I believe--though I read it before Oprah picked it so I'm not entirely sure) and the basis for a movie starring Michelle Pfeiffer. I've read most of her stuff--including The Rest of Us: Dispatches From The Mother Ship, which is a collection (now out-of-print, I assume, since it's no longer listed on her website) of her newspaper columns and worth tracking down at the library or online.

Anyway, her newest--Cage of Stars--was released in May. It is the story of Ronnie Swan, who at the age of 12 witnesses the murder of her younger sisters and spends the next decade or so trying to come to terms with that. Mitchard covers matters of faith and forgiveness, revenge and redemption in a non-preachy and wholly entertaining way. I would say that I couldn't put it down, but the truth is I had to put it down--it's been a long time since I've had the peace and freedom to finish a book in one sitting. This is one of those books that I would've read that way, if I did still have that luxury.

Masked Mom's One-Word Review: Breathtaking.

3 comments:

  1. Wow. It sounds so intense and amazing. I'll have to put that on my list for future reads. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks MM for the suggestion. I am requesting it from my library for my vacation read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. MM-

    I am almost done with the book, and each day when I get to listen in my car on the way to or from work many times I am in tears. The depth of feeling and emotion is amazing. It is a very heartfelt book and I cannot wait to finish it, although when I finish a good book I always feel a bit of loss too.

    ReplyDelete