Thursday, June 29, 2006

Name-Dropping

For the get your giggles any way you can file:

Had a customer come in yesterday--he's fairly regular, works in an office two doors down, used to be on the county government and was a deputy for a while in the sheriff's department. He's a big guy--6'2" or something and 240, at least. He comes in to order a centerpiece, which he tells me he's going to pick up later that afternoon. Fine, good, I get all the specifics and tell him I'll call him when it's ready.

He says, "Don't you wanna know who it's for?"

Confused, I say, "Oh, do you need us to deliver it?" Because he had already said he was going to pick it up.

He said, "No, but don't you wanna know why I need it?"

Frankly, no, I don't really care. I mean, I don't need to know the information to make the arrangement, right? But, with my polite customer service voice, I say, "Sure, who's it for?"

"It's for Bill Pullman! I'm having dinner with Bill Pullman!" The Bill Pullman, of While You Were Sleeping and Independence Day fame, among others.*

The whole thing would've seemed like a crass episode of name-dropping were it not for the fact that this pillar of the local community--this full-grown, man-sized pillar of the local community--was positively giddy at the prospect of having dinner with Bill Pullman. For the minute and a half that he was giving me the details, he was transformed into a six-year-old boy unwrapping exactly the birthday gift he'd hoped for.

I hope the dinner went well and, Mr. Pullman, if you liked that flower arrangement, call us anytime!



*My personal favorite of his is actually Lake Placid for all its campy goodness--Betty White, who only has a few scenes, is so funny the movie wouldn't need much else.

5 comments:

  1. ...but wait no, it couldn't be...he never associates with real people :-)
    Was Will Smith invited too...jsut remembering the grocery store incident with daughters yours and mine...isn't that the guy you wanted me to date;-)
    PS loved the pupdate photos of doggies and son one

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hee hee hee! I'm so sure Will Smith is still in aisle 5 and couldn't attend the dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahh, lake placid! "do you think this is a party?"

    NO, but now that you're here!!

    and poor dumb little betty...she cracked me up! i'm sure your flower arrangement was a HIT.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dude! Bill Pullman? Well, no WONDER he was so excited.

    (giggle)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Apparently the dinner went very well and our customer was so nice that he brought in a picture of Bill Pullman--with my flowers!!!! :) And...they're (the Pullmans) having a family reunion this weekend and are taking the arrangement to put on the picnic table...

    Wow, I'm an even bigger geek than I thought I was.

    ReplyDelete